Disappointment is a sort of bankruptcy - the bankruptcy of a soul that expends too much in hope and expectation—Eric Hoffer
Has there been anything more pervasive in the last ten years of our computer lives than iTunes? Other than an internet connection? Maybe not. iTunes 11 brings one of the most significant modifications to the iTunes program in many years. With the advent and increasing popularity of Spotify it has been increasingly obvious that iTunes has been showing its age. After a couple of weeks with iTunes 11 it’s clear that Apple has a lot of work to do before it makes iTunes a smooth experience. Quite frankly, Apple has lost it – worst update ever. This update and its recent activity make it obvious that Apple is more concerned with litigation as opposed to innovation.
Here are some of the more irritating problems with the new iTunes:
1) The faded font structure is ugly. It’s not pleasing to the eyes to view. Compared to the user interface of Spotify, iTunes 11 looks like free software downloaded from CNET. Looks like an XL spreadsheet made by a ten year old accountant—and about as interesting to navigate. It’s simply not beautiful—and that’s something I never thought I would say about an Apple product.
2) Performance issues are a regular issue. Constant issues with shuffling songs. Intermittent freezing and slowness. For the longest time my iPod would not sync.
3) A basic search takes forever.
4) The memory bar at the bottom . . . why is it so ugly?
5) Inability to have multiple windows open.
6) Horrible integration with the cloud. I’ve never used the cloud but somehow many of my songs have been placed in the cloud without my permission. In fact, many songs I deleted mysteriously ended up on the cloud and back on iTunes. Very annoying.
7) Almost un-navigable. The opposite of intuitive to use.
8) So annoying it deserves its own separate mention: every single time I open iTunes, the scroll bar disappears. I have to bring it back using the Windows key and the arrows.
Steve Jobs was too intelligent and creative to come up with this product or allow it to be released. First iMaps and now iTunes—it’s obvious Apple is not the same company. I compare iTunes to Spotify and Spotify is clearly a better music program for many reasons. Not the least of which: iTunes 11 is UGLY. But I love my iPod so I will continue to use iTunes and hope that it only gets better. Anticipating a new update—but for different reasons.
No comments:
Post a Comment